Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Kevin Spacey = Jack Benny





And I love Jack Benny.

The Jack Benny Show is on MeToo late at night, and if I'm up, I make a point to catch it (right after Burns and Allen). I love checking out the styling of the shows -- the clothes, the hair, the mannerisms (and manners), and the interiors. There is something about the refined simplicity that I'm drawn to -- but they are just cardboard walls, though, right? No matter.

When I saw this clip of Kevin Spacey trying to explain twitter to David Letterman, I immediately thought of Mr Benny's mannerisms. Here's the clip -- if you like Jack Benny or need the lowest-level primer on twitter:




Then compare to Mr Benny's monologue:



Jack Benny color image above from Google's Life archive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the exact same thought when I saw Spacey on Letterman. He could definitely play Benny in a biopic!

EsseQuamVideri said...

Send that man a script!

Stuart Shea said...

I do have to comment, however, that Kevin Spacey would probably be amazed to find out how many Americans don't understand Twitter or even care to find out how it works...