Friday, June 12, 2009

Absinthe, Chocolate and Minnies



Last night I attended a little soiree for the opening of Vosges' wine bar service at its Armitage shop. I always love a good Vosges event -- remember? Haunt-Chocolate. Everything is so rich and wonderful -- signature purple is everywhere and the place exudes a worldly vibe.



Mr and Ms Fab* and I headed straight to the back for a glass of prosecco, and Sam (check out that suit -- talk about dandy-glam!) treated us to a brand-new Vosges creation. It's a "Rock 'n Roll" interpretation from their Groove collection, and it's a dark chocolate truffle with clove ganache that has some kind of Brazilian smoked tobacco infusion. Forgive me, Vosge-ies for not describing it exactly right or eloquently, but I am not a foodie. (I'm a lover not a foodie... I don't analyze.) To get to it: This truffle was amazing. Amazing.

But what's next:



There is ABSINTHE. I have never had absinthe before. In fact, about the only knowledge of the green fairy that I have is from watching Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge. Sam demonstrated how to serve it -- from pouring to sugar with water drops, to adding more water and ice -- it was quite a production. And after all that, I have to say that I am not a fan. Loved the demo, the drink, not so much. The licorice flavor is just too much for me. Back to prosecco I went.



In addition to the Rock 'n Roll truffle, we sampled the Chef Pascal (one of my favorites), the Red Fire (with chili pepper -- num) and the Woolloomooloo truffle. I can never pronounce that one.

After all this decadence, we headed off to Minnies on Halsted for a quick nosh before home with our chocolate purchases (I decided on Red Fire Chocolate-Covered Tortilla Chips). What a night. Loved being with you, Mr and Ms Fab!

*as in Fab Four, you know

1 comment:

Stuart Shea said...

wasn't that goooooooood?