Thursday, May 28, 2009

Haunting :: Mottled Green Marble Bookends




I spied this pair of mottled green Italian marble bookends on the second scour of the bric-a-brac section of a little nothing place in NC. They have some issues, but those wear more like patina than damage, and the green is so good -- so good. They will be good in my living room. And they are so heavy, there is no way that my books will fall over.

The little books shown here are part of the Penguin 60p series from the 90s. Penguin sold these little guys for 60p each to celebrate the company's 60th anniversary. They were perfect for toting through London during my study abroad trip... to have one of these on the Tube or while waiting in line for theater tickets was supposed to be smart use of your time, but inevitably I just liked to watch the people hurry about on the street or study the design in the Tube stations. And when I came home I picked up a few more American books (I think they were 95¢ in the U.S.), things like the United States Constitution and the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.

No comments: