Saturday, May 9, 2009

Clayspace Co-op :: The haunt for NC pottery



Top, pot with brushwork, Kyle Carpenter. Above, pots drying in the Clayspace studio.

My brother has been a member of this group for about two and a half years, and I have to say that I love this place.

North Carolina's pottery heritage lives at Clayspace Co-op in Asheville. From Matt Jacob's house jars to Eric Knoche's sculptural pieces to the traditional forms and painted designs of Kyle Carpenter (my brother), I think that this place is a pottery paradise. Craftsmanship is king. Form is paramount. And making with clay is a way of life.


Clayspace Co-op gallery, Asheville River Arts District.

North Carolina has an long heritage of ceramic arts. Since colonial days, North Carolina potters have been creating functional and decorative works from the clay soil found in the state. Six potters work out of the Clayspace studio in Asheville's River Arts District, and their work is as diverse and appealing as the state itself. And as a working studio and gallery space, you can see the work from start to finish, and talk with the artists one-on-one. Have a question? Don't be shy -- these folks love to talk pots.



Pot in progress, Eric Knoche.


Heather Tinnaro works at the wheel.

This is one great Asheville haunt.


North Carolina pot detail, Kyle Carpenter.

I am very happy to report that I went home with this great little "N.C." pot of Kyle's. I am big into North Carolina -- it's my home state -- and I was so enamored with this piece commemorating the Old North State. And the hand lettering!

6 comments:

Stu Shea said...

You're sharing your haunt!!

EsseQuamVideri said...

This is a great one to share. There's enough art to go around.

ADG said...

I remember learning when I lived in Charlotte years ago, about Catawba Indian pottery traditions in N.C. I was asked to pick up a piece for a friend who had a Catawba woman make a wedding vase for he and his wife. Really great lore surrounding pottery and I'm a sucker for the back-story. I love the North Georgia Face Jugs as well. I just don't have the money or space to accomodate another collecting obsession.

ADG

Ps...South Carolina Barbecue is better.

EsseQuamVideri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EsseQuamVideri said...

ADG, I respectfully argue that Eastern NC bbq is the end-all, be-all. :)

PS :: I'm having comment issues, hence the mumbo-jumbo in the prev comment.

Heather Tinnaro said...

thanks for coming in, chica! it was a pleasure to meet you. we are lucky to have kyle. he obviously comes from good folk!
heather